Week Ending 10/10/2020

Nothing exciting this week………………………………………….

As always, first the chronology:

10/4/20 – Sunday – Up at the usual time and usual morning routine.  Downstairs to do the blog.  Then worked on my garage project awhile.  Up for lunch and cleaned up.  Continued working on the garage project till time to go to Gary’s for the afternoon get together.  Home and took Kathy out to Applebee’s for dinner.  Stopped at Dairy Queen on the way home for dessert.  Home and put things away.  Bed, computer work, TV and sleep.

10/5/20 – Monday – Up at the usual time and usual morning routine.  Cleaned up and out with Kathy to shop at Costco and Kroger.  Home and unloaded.  Lunch.  Chores around the house this afternoon including taking the Chrysler over to the Morton building and giving it and the truck some routine maintenance.  Dinner then chatted with the guys on 2 meters.  Bands were alive so made some contacts domestically and to South America.  Bed, computer work, TV and sleep.

10/6/20 – Tuesday – Up a little early and usual morning routine. Kathy was already out to watch the grand kids.  Cleaned up and out to the Chamber of Commerce office for Election Officer training.  Home and had a sandwich for lunch.  Over to Gary’s to get his audio working.  Back home and computer work.  Kathy came home and we went to Hometown Pizza for dinner.  Home and chatted with the guys on 2 meters.  Computer updates.  Dessert, bed, TV and sleep.

10/7/20 – Wednesday – Up at the usual time and usual morning routine.  Did not sleep well last night.  Think I ate too much pizza at Hometown.  Spent the morning chatting with people at the bank to move some money around.  Had a snack for lunch.  Didn’t do much in the afternoon.  Played radio and took a nap.  Had a light dinner then down to chat with the guys on 2 meters.  Upstairs, chores, bed, TV and sleep.

10/8/20 – Thursday – Up at the usual time and usual morning routine.  Kathy was up and out to Persimmon Ridge to watch grand children.  I moved more money around and payed bills.  Got the paper work ready to go pay the property tax on our extra land we bought.  Had a sandwich for lunch.  Then down to the Sheriff’s office to pay the taxes.  Stopped for milk on the way home.  Downstairs and did some research on the computer.  Kathy came home and I finished up my domestic chores.  Took a nap, did burgers and dogs on the grill for dinner.  Chatted with the guys on 2 meters.  Did computer updates.  Upstairs to bed, more computer research.  TV and sleep.

10/9/20 – Friday – Up at the usual time and usual morning routine.  Kathy went shopping and I went downstairs to play radio.  Found the audio down to the ICOM.  Trouble shooting indicated a bad transformer.  Replace it and all is good.  Kathy picked up Chinese on her way home.  Ate lunch then outside to bring things in from the pool deck and clean them up.  Then cleaned up and into J-town for HAM testing.  Stopped for gas on the way home.  Had my leftover Chinese for a late dinner.  Played radio.  Upstairs to bed, computer updates, TV and sleep.

10/10/20 – Saturday – Up at the usual time and usual morning routine.  Played radio most of the morning.  Had lunch and helped Kathy with some things around the house.  Took a nap.  Did some computer research.  Had dinner.  Chatted with the guys on 2 meters.  Computer updates, chores, bed, Big Bang and sleep.

Now the specifics:

I got back to my garage door project that I started a little over a year ago and found some major issues with IP addressing. So as not to get too technical, it won’t let me address it from outside the house without repopulating some fields and I can’t get it to stop doing that. So, I’ll be working on it for awhile.

My friend Stan who stopped to see us last year and we spent some time with in Florida in February was suppose to be here this Monday. But it looked like it was going to be rainy so he called this week and postponed his arrival till Wednesday. We are looking forward to seeing him and might plan to go back to Florida next year to visit him again.

HAM bands have been improving lately. Two contributing factors are that winter is coming and we are seeing slightly more solar activity. As a result I have been on the radio more. Did some contacts domestically and also a couple to South America. I have heard a lot of station from Europe but not at a good time for me to play.

Last week on Sunday I delivered Gary’s audio interface to him. We hooked it up and as with everything at Gary’s house, it didn’t work. No audio out of the computer in his shack. I didn’t have anything to do any trouble shooting so I told him I would be back. I went back over on Tuesday afternoon and quickly found that the audio out of the Linux computer was muted. He claims he was not doing anything with it so I can only guess that by having the card unplugged for so long it muted itself. Anyway, after fixing that, Gary was delighted. Of course now he is concerned with being able to switch between transmit and receive without using his mouse. I did some research this week and discovered he could click on the sent button then simply use the space bar on the keyboard to switch between transmit and receive. We’ll see how that works and what else he might come up with.

I went to election officer training this week on Tuesday morning. It was the usual stuff but there were folks there that just had to ask stupid questions. One lady even brought up an issue in another county. It was 2 and 1/2 hours but was really better then usual. Our county clerk did the entire training and didn’t focus so much on the machines but on what paperwork went where and how. Much more educational to me. Kathy couldn’t go as she was watching grand kids. She is scheduled to go this coming week on Monday evening I think.

Friday we started our fall chores outside. We cleaned up the toys from the pool and brought all the stuff in that was out on the pool deck. That makes it ready for us to close it next week. Hopefully after Stan gets here.

Had HAM testing this past Friday night at the Masonic Lodge in J-town. Had a good group. One fellow tried twice to pass but didn’t make it. Only missed by a couple question. On the other side of the spectrum we had a fellow take the Technician test and aced it. We encouraged him to try the General class exam and he passed that only missing 3 questions. One person upgraded from Technician to General and the fourth person took his Technician exam. All in all a good night of testing.

Just as I thought I was done with other people’s projects I inherited another. Chloe is into growing plants but doesn’t have enough window sill space in her room to put all her plants so they get the morning sun. So, my daughter asked if I would build a bench to set inside that would essentially extend the window sill for her to put more plants on. Of course I got her to call me with the dimensions but Kathy thinks they should be different. So now I’m at a stand still till those two iron out the details.

That is all for this week. Not an exciting week but am looking forward to my friend Stan arriving this coming week. As always, hope this finds everyone safe and healthy. Please stay that way. Blog at you again next week.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s