Week Ending 10/24/2020

A great week……………………………………………

As always, first the chronology:

10/18/20 – Sunday – Up at the usual time and usual morning routine.  Down to do the blog then over to the Morton building to put a coat of Polyurethane on the bench.  Inside and chatted with Stan.  Ordered Chinese food and made a stop at Country Mart and Dollar General.  Home and ate.  Over to see how the bench was drying.  Outside to put the Halloween decorations up.  In and Kathy and Stan watched football and I played radio.  Internet went down so I called and advised them.  Took a nap.  Up and had a snack for dinner.  Chatted with Stan.  To bed, Big Bang, computer updates and sleep.

10/19/20 – Monday – Up at the usual time and usual morning routine.  Stan and I went to the gun range to punch some holes in paper.  Then over to the Polaris dealership to try and get a bulb for Stan’s Sling Shot.  Then met with Kathy at Walmart for some shopping.  Lunch at Chubby Ray’s.  Kathy went her way to do more shopping and Stan and I went to Rural King in Shelbyville to look for ammo.  Over to Taylorsville auto parts store, still no luck on the headlight.  Then home the long way around.  Put another coat of polyurethane on the bench and inside.  Kathy came home.  Chatted awhile.  Dinner.  Chatted with the guys on 2 meters.  Cleaned guns.  Dessert.  Bed, TV, computer updates and sleep.

10/20/20 – Tuesday – Up at the usual time and usual morning routine.  Stan and I went to get our hair cut, home, then down to Kroger to take care of some pharmacy issues and pick up a few things.  Home and lunch.  Chores around the house and a nap.  Then out to Olive Garden for dinner.  Home and chatted awhile.  Bed, computer updates, Big bang and sleep.

10/21/20 – Wednesday – Up at the usual time and usual morning routine.  Stan and I went to the Morton building and took the bad headlight bulb out of the Slingshot.  I did some investigation and found one.  We went to get it and came back and put it in.  Cleaned up the Morton building.  Got gas in the gas cans.  In for lunch.  Back out to work on Shelby’s table that needed repair.  Moved all Stan’s stuff over to the house for packing.  Back in the house and a nap.  Up and dinner.  Chatted with the guys on 2 meters.  Bed, computer work, Big Bang and sleep.

10/22/20 – Thursday – Up at the usual time and usual morning routine.  Stan had breakfast and we chatted awhile.  Then he got loaded and was off.  Did chores around the house then lunch.  Out to the Morton building for more work on Shelby’s table.  In and had a nap.  Up for dinner.  Chatted with the guys on 2 meters.  Computer updates.  Upstairs, a few chores, bed, Big Bang and sleep.

10/23/20 – Friday – Up at the usual time and usual morning routine.  Checked emails and played radio.  Made a contact to Moscow, Russia.  Gathered things for my meeting at the bank this afternoon.  Went to the Morton building and worked on Shelby’s table.  In for lunch.  Cleaned up and chores around the house till time to leave for the bank.  Took care of business there.  Then to Lowes in Shelbyville.  Home and picked up Kathy.  To Cattleman’s for an early dinner.  To Taylorsville shopping.  Home and downstairs to chat with the guys on 2 meters.  Did some research and computer work.  Upstairs for dessert.  Bed, TV and sleep.

10/24/20 – Saturday – Up at the usual time and usual morning routine.  Spent the morning hooking up the ARB between the Yeasu transceiver and my Ameritron AL811H.  Changed the designation strips on my antenna switch and audio switch to be consistent with the Yaesu instead of the ICOM.  Kathy was out to check on Julie so I had a late and light lunch.  Took a nap.  Kathy came home and chatted.  Then dinner.  Chatted with the guys on 2 meters.  Did some computer work.  Upstairs and chatted with Kathy.  Bed, more computer work, TV and sleep.

Now the specifics:

Hold on, this looks like a long one.

Stan continued his journey on Thursday this week leaving our house in the morning and heading for Athens, Georgia. We had a lot of fun. Said he enjoyed the visit. We got a lot done as Stan likes to stay busy. It’s great having him. I’m glad we met and hope we continue our friendship. Kathy and I are considering another trip to Florida in February if we are allowed. Depends on what the political Nazis decide. Perhaps after the elections things will ease up.

I finished the bench I was building for Chloe and Kathy was in a hurry to take it up so I did not get pictures of it as I promised. But it was built solid and had several coats of polyurethane to keep it from getting marked up. Chloe seems happy with it and that’s what is important.

Stan and I went shooting on Monday. He mentioned to me that ammo was scarce these days. I didn’t give it much thought but when I saw how bare the shelves were at the shooting range I understood what he was saying. I took a look online and what ammo you can get costs an arm and a leg. Very expensive. We took a ride over to Rural King and they are out as well. I guess everyone is preparing for the worst case scenario with the upcoming elections.

Stan had a headlight out in his Slingshot. I tried to find one online with no luck. So on Wednesday we took out the bad bulb and I recognized it as a standard H9 headlight. So I looked around and found a couple at a local O’Reilly’s auto parts store and we went over and bought them. We replaced the bad one and he put the other one in the glove compartment. One less reason for him to get pulled over on the rest of his trip.

Monday we had a garbage truck over turn down the road from our house. The roads where wet and slick so I assume he went off the edge on this narrow road and slide awhile till the truck tipped over. Fortunately the fellow operating it was OK. But it closed the road getting into our house for several hours. On our way back from Shelbyville we had to take the long way around to get back to the house.

My project now is fixing a table of Shelby’s. Julie had tried on several occasions to tighten the legs to no avail. On investigation I discovered that the blocks the legs screwed into were loose on the table top so she could have tightened the screw all she wanted and it would have still been unstable. I disassembled the entire table and started reassembling. I put glue and tooth picks in the holes so it would tighten up better. I also glued it everywhere pieces contacted another piece. I got down to putting the last leg on and realized that Julie had stripped the head on the one screw. So, I spent time this week at Lowes, Homedepot and Ace hardware looking for the right size. Came up with some possibilities but ended up ordering the correct size online. They will be here in a week or so and that will be done.

HAM radio bands have been coming alive. Spent some time the later part of the week on the air. Made a contact with Moscow, Russia. That is a new one for me. Everyone was getting ready for the big contest this weekend.

Had a meeting with some folks at the bank to tell them what I wanted to do. I’m suppose to get free financial advice from them but they are worthless. The only one I trust is the girl that does my transactions for me. But she thought I should talk to the financial planner who is in my opinion, dumb as a stump. For those of you that know me, when I can figure out banking things better then someone else, they really must be stupid. Anyway, got what I wanted accomplished and hopefully won’t have to deal with them for another year.

If you remember, I’ve had problems with my ICOM radio. I pulled it off the HAM desk and replaced it with my Yaesu FT-847. The Yaesu is a much more current and sophisticated radio so it takes a little more love and care then the older ICOM. Had to order an interface box from Ameritron to make it work with the AL811H. I also need to isolate the ALC line with a series diode so I ordered parts from Allelectronics to build that as you can buy it anymore. Those should be here Wednesday and I should have everything working by the end of the week.

Only other thing we have going is getting ready for election day. We didn’t get called to work at any of the pre-election polling places. So all we have to do is work as greeters on election day. No stress but still a long day. In any case we need to know all the other jobs so we can fill in during breaks and lunch.

OK, that’s enough for this week. Sorry it was so long. As always, hope this finds everyone safe and healthy. Please be careful and stay that way. Blog at you again next week.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s