Week Ending 1/15/22

A good week………………………………………………………….

As always, first the chronology:

1/9/22 – Sunday – Up a little late this morning.  Dogs were not cooperative last night.  Cleaned up and out for church.  Home and lunch.  Kathy went up to help Julie do some things.  I did the blog then over to Gary’s house.  Mike wasn’t there so I put Gary’s new computer I got him in place of the XP machine and much to my amazement it worked well.  Finished up and home.  Some chores then Kathy came home.  We went to Applebee’s for dinner.  Usual evening routine.

1/10/22 – Monday – Up a little late this morning.  Slept good and wanted to make it last.  Spent the morning working on my TARPN node.  Seems the propagation deteriorated between us.  So I shut the node down around 4PM.  I did some research and ordered an antenna with mounting bracket from DXenginnering and some coax and connectors from the Wireman.  Usual evening routine.

1/11/22 – Tuesday – Up at the usual time.  Chores around the house and cleaned up.  Downstairs for some paper work in the shack.  Kathy was out to let the guys in to Mike and Julie’s house to deliver and install a new washer.  She came home and we had lunch.  Took a long nap this afternoon.  Up and a snack for dinner.  Out to a HAM club meeting in Shelbyville.  Picked up some sandwiches at Arby’s on the way home.  Otherwise usual evening routine.

1/12/22 – Wednesday – Up at the usual time.  Downstairs to work on Arduino coding.  Finally got some progress on the colonoscopy.  Kathy had an upset stomach.  Suspect something going around.  Chinese takeout for dinner.  Usual evening routine.

1/13/22 – Thursday – Up a little late.  Cleaned up and chores around the house.  Kathy felt better and got ready for a meeting with the woman’s church group.  I went over to Gary’s after lunch to explain some things.  Then met Kathy at Best Buy and got us a couple new cell phones.  Home and started moving things over.  Went to Cattleman’s Steakhouse for dinner.  Home and finished transferring information.  

1/14/22 – Friday – Up a little early.  Over to Mike’s (Son-in-law) and out to breakfast.  Then back to the house to work on the exhaust fan in the bathroom.  Home a little before lunch.  Still full from breakfast so just did some chores around the house.  Took a nap.  Up and fought with Godaddy about my email account.  Usual evening routine.

1/15/22 – Saturday – Up at the usual time.  Downstairs to cleanup.  Cut up boxes and tied them in preparation for garbage day.  Hauled all the stuff I’m throwing out up to the garage.  Lunch.  Kathy went shopping with Julie and Chloe.  I went took the tools over to the Morton Building I was using for the toilet install.  Started the portable generator and ran it awhile.  Put things away and put the new house numbers on the mail box.  Inside for a short nap.  Usual evening routine.

Now the specifics:

Gary was using an old Windows XP machine for his remote system which was fine. The only other thing he did with it was look over the internet. Then he bought a learn kit for the Arduino. That had some online tutorial videos and the XP machine wouldn’t handle it. So I got him a used low end Windows 7 machine from my friend that runs the used computer store. I loaded all the things he would need and last Sunday I put it in place of the XP machine. And everything worked great. Another monkey off my back.

I had my TARPN node up last weekend but on Sunday things started to deteriorate. Not sure what happened but it was clear I need more signal strength. So, I ordered a directional antenna with about 10 DB gain from DXengineering and some low loss coax from the Wireman. That stuff all came this week along with a used commercial Motorola radio I got on Ebay. I need a mini UHF connector for the Motorola before I can go any further. I ordered that from Debco up in Ohio. That should be here later this week along with the software to program the Motorola radio. When the weather breaks enough I’ll put the antenna up and try this again.

Still working on the Arduino coding for Gary’s system in the barn. Thought I had it all ready to go but it didn’t compile well. I need to back out and do it a little at a time.

Friday I went out to breakfast with my son-in-law Mike. Then over to his house to look at an issue with the exhaust fan in the bathroom. It was a quick fix and I was home by lunch time.

Late Friday afternoon all my email accounts stopped working. I looked into it and discovered that the security certificate for the server that my email accounts were on had expired around 2PM EST. I waited awhile and Friday evening I contacted them via chat. I waited for about an hour and finally got a guy that seemed to really know his stuff. He had me do a few things his script told him to do. Then he collected the information I had and sent it up the line to the admin group. By Saturday afternoon the problem had not been fixed. I tried the chat again and got a guy that was totally worthless. I asked him to escalate the problem and he had no idea why I would ask such a thing. So I call the help line and got a really good guy. He taught me a few things and I taught him a few things. An exceptional experience. And he told me exactly how long things would last. He was spot on and he had told me what to expect when things returned to normal and what to do about them. Amazing. So, I still recommend Godaddy.

Then there is the colonoscopy saga. About three months ago I went to a UofL gastroentrology group in preparation for a colonoscopy. So theye wanted me to go to a cardiologist and get a clearance. What the hell am I going to a cardiologist for to get a colonoscopy. I told them that and they told me I could go downtown for the colonoscopy if I didn’t want to get the cardiac clearance. I basically told them to stuff that idea up their ass. So I made a bunch of calls and waited. Finally got a call back from one of the people I called. They explained that they need some information from my primary care physician and they would move forward from there. So I called and got the requested information sent and I got a call back Thursday and have an appointment scheduled. First time I’ve been excited to get a colonoscopy.

My cell phone had been having issues and I decided I was going to replace it. I had talked to Todd as he has an LG phone. Kathy got in on the discussion and said she wanted to stay with Iphone. It’s her turn to pay so I said fine. And Thursday we went to Bestbuy and got them. Brought them home and started moving stuff over. Kathy uses Icloud so her phone went quickly. Mine was taking a little longer so we went out for dinner and I finished mine up when I came back. Amazing leap forward in technology. The facial recognition software is phenomenal. I was skeptical but it works great. Only time it’s had a problem is when I have a mask on. And as long as you are staying with Apple, the transition process is painless.

Well that’s it for this week. As always hope this finds everyone safe and healthy. Blog at you again next week.

One thought on “Week Ending 1/15/22

  1. Well, the “Rona” got me…sore throat, cough and runny/stuffy nose. Never really felt bad, just knew I was sick. Denise had it a little worse than me. She also had extreme fatigue. What I had is as bad as I want to have it. Fully vaccinated and bolstered and still got it from somewhere!!
    Have fun at your colonoscopy! Best 20-30 minutes of sleep you can get! Hope all goes well!
    Stay healthy and safe!!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s