Week Ending 10/14/17

A very busy week with some nice times………………………………………………………..

As always, first the chronology:

10/8/17 – Sunday – Up and out early to church with Gary. Home and had another bagel and coffee while reading the newspaper. Kathy cut her Sunday School class to go help Julie at the house they are trying to clean out. I did some computer work and played radio. Went over to Gary’s for the afternoon get together. Home and took a nap till Kathy got home. Had dinner. Some chores around the house and to bed.

10/9/17 – Monday – Slept in a little today. Cleaned up and out to the Morton building to see what I needed to do maintenance on the garden tractor. Kathy and I went into Taylorsville to Hometown Pizza for the lunch buffet. Stopped and picked up oil at auto parts store. Post Office was closed but Kathy dropped off a card for our brother in law Jim’s birthday. Then home and computer work. Got the two computers they retrieved form Dan Rice’s house re-configured to factory condition with the help of my brother in law Terry. Had dinner and played radio. To bed, some episodes of The Guest Book and sleep.

10/10/17 – Tuesday – Played radio this morning. Made a contact in Lithuania plus chatted with a guy that I used to be in the 112 TCF with from State College. Worked on the Megexcel server and got sendmail working so now the guest book works. I updated all the Linux systems and backed up my HAM radio computer. Exported the latest contacts from my logging program and uploaded them to the three program I use. Finished up about 8PM. Then upstairs to bed and trying to find the correct code for the new TV I mounted on the wall in the bedroom today.

10/11/17 – Wednesday – Up and out to get my hair cut. Home and called the cable company to help me re-program the remote for the new TV. They had me repeat a lot of things I already did then decided to send me a new one. Then to my room and played radio awhile and did some other computer work. Kathy came home and got ready to go to Dare to Care to cook. I went over and picked up Gary and we went to Steak and Shake for dinner. Home and had some desert. Kathy came home and we both went to bed early. Some Big Bang and sleep.

10/12/17 – Thursday – Kathy was up and out early to go babysit the grand kids again. I spent the day doing some reading on the computer. I got cleaned up mid-afternoon and went up to Mike and Julie’s to help Mike resolve an electrical problem. I passed Kathy coming back on my way over. Changed a breaker in his electric panel he thought was bad. Ultimately isolated the problem to a GFI receptacle he had taken out of the wall and re-installed when he did the tile work in the downstairs kitchen area. Got that all resolved and closed up and headed home. Had dinner. To bed, some Big Bang and sleep.

10/13/17 – Friday – Kathy was up and out again for the third day of babysitting. I got up and went out to Harbor Freight to do some shopping. They were having an outside tent sale with some really good bargains. Ran into a guy I sat with at Gary White’s birthday party and chatted awhile. Then headed back home and went to Taylorsville to have lunch with Kathy and the Grand Kids at Dairy Queen. Took the kids back to our house and let them paint pumpkins. Kathy took them home then went to help at the Fish Fry at church. I got ready and went to the Fish Fry, then Gary and I went to the HAM club meeting. I took my finished clock project which everyone was interested in. I was asked to talk about it a little and to provide information to be put on their website. Took Gary home, then back to the house. Some Big Bang and sleep.

10/14/17 – Saturday – Most of the day I spent doing chores around the house. Helped Kathy get some things ready to take over to Mike and Julie’s. They invited some people from the VA hospital to come over to the house and we were invited. It was an interesting experience. I’ll talk about it more later. Home late, very late. Didn’t get home and in bed till 1AM.

Now the particulars:

Kathy was a very busy lady this week.  She watched the grand children Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from about 7AM (which meant she had to get up around 5:30AM) till the baby sitter arrived around 2:20 or 3 in the afternoon.  Then Wednesday she cooked at Dare to Care.  Thursday she had a free night and Friday she went to the church to help with the Fish Fry.  Needless to say she was exhausted by Saturday morning.

I did some computer cleanup for Julie on a couple machines.  They were both Windows 7 which I’m not really knowledgeable about.  So, I called my brother in law Terry and he gave me some guidance on the more difficult of the two machines.  My thanks to Terry for that.  So both the laptop and desktop they retrieved are now back to factory settings.

While we are talking about computers, a friend of mine sent me a story I thought was cute, let me include it here:

As we Silver Surfers know, sometimes we have trouble with our computers.

Yesterday, I had a problem, so I called Georgie , the 11 year old next door, whose bedroom looks like  Mission Control, and asked him to come over.

Georgie clicked a couple of buttons and solved the problem.

As he was walking away, I called after him, ‘So, what was wrong?’

He replied, ‘It was an ID ten T error.’

I didn’t want to appear stupid, but nonetheless inquired, ‘An, ID ten T error? What’s that? In case I need to fix it again.’

Georgie  grinned ..‘Haven’t you ever heard of an ID ten T error before?

‘No,’ I replied.

‘Write it down,’ he said, ‘and I think you’ll figure it out.’

So I wrote down:


OK, that was my humor for this week.

I did a lot of work on the Megexcel server this week.  Got Sendmail to work so the guest book is back.  Of course as I explained earlier the backups got corrupted when the hard drive went bad so I have nothing to backup.  So it’s empty again.  If you feel like it please give me an entry.  And I still don’t see any comments here.

Well Julie and Mike had what I can only describe as a social experiment this week. They had a get together at their house which included a mutual friend of the families, Kathy and me, a black woman that used to work at UofL and now works at the VA with Julie, and a young lady that used to work for Mike and her partner.  I got along well with everyone except the partner.  She was the most arrogant and obnoxious woman I have met in a long time.  Out of respect for Mike and Julie I didn’t say anything but I’m sure if I had she would have pulled the LGBT card out.  Other than that, it was a nice evening playing cards and having some food.  But late.  Very late.  We didn’t get home and I didn’t get in bed till 1AM and I get up at 5:30AM to get ready to pick up Gary on Sunday mornings.  Needless to say my ass was dragging today.

I took my completed clock project to the HAM club meeting this past Friday.  I was surprised at the interest people had in it.  Asked to to talk to them about it which I did.  The webmaster asked me to write it up so he can put it on the clubs web page.  So if that happens I’ll probably put a link here for the page.

Well, taht’s about it for this week.  Weather was crappy all week so all the work was inside.  It’s suppose to be nice all week this week so I expect I’ll do a lot outside.  Anyway, hope all had a good week and wish you a better week to come.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s