Week Ending 7/31/2021

Welcome to August. Not much happened this week so this should be short.

As always, first the chronology:

7/25/21 – Sunday – Up a little late this morning.  Kathy was off to church early so I enjoyed the quiet having my coffee and looking at the news on my cell phone.  Then cleaned up and out to church myself.  Home and lunch.  Down to do the blog.  A lot of writing and many pictures this week so it took awhile.  Up and a short nap.  Had dinner and downstairs to play radio.  Bands where starting to improve.  For some reason, Kathy decided to come downstairs to watch TV.  This is a first in many weeks.  She of course brought the dogs down and Rusty kept coming over barking at me.  How did she know the bands would be good?  I gave up and went to the bedroom.  Watched a movie and did some computer work.

7/26/21 – Monday – Up at the usual time.  Out to clean up things in the back yard.  Went out with Kathy to put some things away and get vegetables from the garden. In and cleaned up.  Lunch.  Then computer work for bank things while waiting for the appliance repairman to come look at the ice maker in the refrigerator.  Kathy went to a ladies circle meeting at church.  She came home and we did some cleaning while the refrigerator was out.  Then dinner and usual evening routine.

7/27/21 – Tuesday – Up a little late this morning.  Out for yard work.  Finished up a little after 3PM.  Cooled down and cleaned up.  Over to Cattleman’s Roadhouse for dinner.  Then shopping at Lowes then into Kroger for prescriptions.  Home and played radio.  Good band conditions.  Usual evening routine the rest of the night.

7/28/21 – Wednesday – Up at the usual time.  Spent the day working in the shack.  Fixed the coax to the vertical antenna.  Uploaded log data.  Made some phone calls.  Kathy went to Walmart for pedicure and shopping.  Had lunch when she got home.  Played radio and made several contacts.  Burgers on the grill for dinner.  Usual evening routine.

7/29/21 – Thursday – Up very early.  Had to be up at Brownsboro Road for a medical procedure at 7:30AM.  Got back a little after 8AM.  Had another cup of coffee and bagel.  Made some phone calls then laid down around 10AM.  Up at 12:30PM.  Kathy was gone to watch the grand children but Mike came home early so she was home early afternoon.  We had lunch.  Then she laid down.  I went over to Gary’s to help him with a problem on his remote system.  Back home, dinner and usual evening routine.

7/30/21 – Friday – Up a little early.  Felt excellent this morning.  Did chores around the house and ran errands.  Played radio and took a nap in the afternoon.  Then out to watch Chloe’s circus performance and have dinner with the Rice family. Stopped on the way home for some groceries.  Home and usual evening routine.

7/31/21 – Saturday – Up at the usual time.  Ran some errands including getting the gas cans filled for mowing, Etc.  Kathy was off to see a movie with Julie and the grand kids.  I had lunch then played radio.  Took a nap.  Kathy came home and had dinner.  Usual evening routine.

Now the specifics:

The radio bands have been improving but always late afternoon and into the evening and later. I’ve been doing a lot more on the radio when I can. Have talked to some interesting people either on phone or digital mode. Chatted with a retired MD who started life in NYC. Became a MD and couldn’t stand the crap in that part of the country so he moved to Nebraska where he worked and raised a family. Then retired to the Carolinas. I got my log up to date this week so you can check out the “Hobbies” page on my website to see the latest contacts.

Sunday we didn’t get together as Gary wasn’t feeling 100%. We will resume this week.

Samsung has a bad reputation with it’s ice makers in their refrigerators. I’ve been thawing ours out periodically as well as digging ice chunks out of the mechanism. But a week ago it stopped and I couldn’t get it working to save my life. All the diagnostics were OK but it still didn’t make ice. So I had to give in and call an appliance repair guy. He came on Monday, I told him what I’d done. He unplugged the refrigerator and plugged it back in and sure enough we got a squirt of water in the ice maker. So he said with the information I gave him and what he observed it was the ice maker itself that was the problem. He is ordering a new one that will cost a couple hundred dollars and I’m sure another near hundred to install it. So, to save going down the road and getting ice from the quick mart for $1.49 for 7 pounds and using 2 bags a week, we will be spending 3 to 4 hundred dollars to have it fixed for the convenience of not making that trip. Not sure that all adds up but that’s what the boss wants.

Tuesday we did the yard work. It was hotter and more humid than usual. Really kicked my ass this week. So we did just the minimum to make it look OK. We’ll do a better job next week.

The time has come and Thursday morning I was up bright and early to go get my spinal injection. I got the first appointment of the day and was actually in and out before my appointment time. The staff was really good and I had no problems. I took it easy most of the day. Friday morning I got up and wow, things were definitely improved. Usually took 15 to 20 minutes to stand straight after getting up in the morning but this week I was up, standing erect and pain free. What a difference. I’m not really sure what will happen next. When I went downtown they gave me a series of 2 or 3 shots automatically. I asked them about that and they said that was up to me. I have an appointment to go back and see him in 6 weeks. I guess I’ll learn more then. In any case, if you have ever been told you should get the spinal injections, do it. It’s easy and works great.

And last but not least, the highlight of the week was Chloe’s circus performance. She went back to circus camp this year and her performance at the end of camp was this Friday.

These are the only two decent pictures I was able to get. The light was low and the action was fast. It was absolutely amazing what they taught these young people in just one short week. But we enjoyed going to see her and I think she appreciated us being there. Afterward we went to Selina’s Restaurant for dinner. Yea, Mike picked it. It wasn’t bad but the food was average and the price was high. But Mike picked up the tab so that worked for me.

That’s it for this week. I guess the fact that I’m going to church every Sunday now is mellowing these blog entries. I’ll need to miss some Sunday so I’ll have something to rant about.

As always, hope this finds everyone safe and healthy. Blog at you again next week.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s