Week Ending 6/18/22

A very busy week with lots of pictures………………………………

As always, first the chronology:

6/12/22 – Sunday – Up at the usual time.  Cleaned up and out to church with Kathy.  Home and lunch.  Down to do the blog.  Over to Gary’s for the afternoon get together.  Home then out with Kathy to Cracker Barrel for dinner.  Home and usual evening routine.

6/13/22 – Monday – Up at the usual time.  Did not sleep well last night.  I think the food at Cracker Barrel was less than we wanted and wasn’t very good.  Kathy was out to watch the grand children.  I started work on the keyer project.  Took a break around noon and went out and touched up some place on the pool deck that we used wood filler on.  Back inside till about 2:30.  Had a snack.  The parts for the barbecue grill came so I put them on.  It works just like new now.  Continued work on the keyer till Kathy got home.  Had dinner.  Usual evening routine with a trip to the pool to check the chemical levels and to the garden to spray Roundup to kill the weeds.

6/14/22 – Tuesday – Up at the usual time.  Kathy was out to watch the grand kids.  I worked on my keyer and got the trailer hooked up to the truck.  Kathy brought the kids over a little before lunch.  We had lunch then swimming in the afternoon.  Got everyone out of the pool and loaded them in the truck.  Over to Mike and Julie’s.  Loaded my son-in-laws mower onto the trailer and waited for him to come home.  Kathy and I left and brought the mower over to the house.  Had a quick bite to eat than out for a HAM club meeting in Shelbyville.

6/15/22 – Wednesday – Up at the usual time and out around 9:30AM to start yard work.  It was slow and very hot.  Finished up around 3:30PM.  In the house and cooled down.  Dinner and usual evening routine.

6/17/22 – Thursday – Up a little early and took Kathy over to the eye doctor for a follow up appointment for her cataract surgery.  Everything is good and she doesn’t have to go back for another 6 months.  Came home and laid down for a nap.  Got a call from Wright Implement that our zero turn mower came in.  Kathy and I got dressed again and headed over.  Got the paperwork and all done and it will be delivered Monday.  Went on in to Shelbyville and got gas for $4.66 a gallon.  Seems it’s going down some places.  Then a late lunch at Milano’s.  Stopped at Walmart for some things on the way home.  Home and got Kathy’s car and took it to the service center.  While out got a call from Norton Pain Management.  Returned the call and got my spinal injection scheduled for early next Tuesday.  Usual evening routine.

6/18/22 – Friday – Up at the usual time.  Very rough night with the leg discomfort.  Got cleaned up and out to help Gary with his remote.  Then got the mower on the trailer and took that over to our son-in-law’s.  Home and lunch.  Laid down for a nap.  Up to find the internet and phone service down.  Hadn’t heard from the service center so went down to find out they lost phone and internet as well but early this morning.  They looked at Kathy’s car and can’t find a problem they can handle so they referred her to a transmission guy in J-town.  Will follow that up next week.  Home and dinner.  Got phone and internet back around 9PM.  Otherwise, usual evening routine.

6/19/22 – Saturday – Up at the usual time.  Out to start cleaning out the garden.  Got it all ready and started the rototilling.  Was a little more than Kathy or I either one could do.  Julie came over with lunch and the grand kids.  She finished the rototilling.  Tore up a piece of the fence and put a bad burn on her leg from the muffler on the rotoriller.  They finished up the planting and I took Carter swimming.  The girls were not interested.  Julie and the grand kids departed and we got cleaned up and met them at the Chinese buffet for dinner.  Home and usual evening routine.

Now the specifics:

We usually go out for dinner on Sunday evenings and try to switch around different places. We tried the Outback here in Louisville and it was terrible. So it got put on our “Do Not Eat There” list. This past Sunday we went to Cracker Barrel in Shelbyville and it was terrible. Not much food and it wasn’t very good. So now we have two places on our “Do Not Eat There” list. We are not saying these places are bad everywhere, just the two we visited.

The inside of the barbecue grill was deteriorating and the last time I used it I could not get the last two burners to fire off correctly. I took it apart and when I saw how much deterioration there was I decided we needed to do something. I looked at the price of a new grill which came in around $250 for about the same kind as we had. Then I went online and found a rebuild kit for this grill for $50. That was a no brainer. Ordered the kit from Amazon, got it the next day and installed it. The grill now works just like brand new.

The swimming pool got it’s inauguration this week. Kathy brought the grand kids over Tuesday and we had a nice swim.

Everyone had a great time.

When we took the grand kids home on Tuesday we picked up the son-in-law’s mower. Then did the yard work Wednesday. It was hot with the temperature approaching 100. We went very slow, stayed hydrated and took plenty of breaks. Kathy ran the zero turn mower and I did the trimming.

Looks pretty nice if I must say myself.

Here comes Kathy in with the mower after finishing up.

And me being the good guy cleaning up the mower before we return it.

Kathy had her eye checkup on Thursday morning. Everything is good and she won’t have to go back for 6 months now. That’s a great thing. Still excited about getting the corrective lense restriction removed from her driver’s license.

Got a call from Wright Implement that our zero turn mower came in. We went over and got the paperwork done and paid for it. It will be delivered Monday next week.

Kathy’s car is making a funny noise. Took it to the garage and they heard it but think it’s in the front transfer case and that’s beyond their level of maintenance. So they referred us to a transmission guy in J-town. We will followup with that next week.

Got my spinal injection scheduled for Tuesday next week. I’m very much looking forward to that. But my doctor said I have to do Physical Therapy after that. I’m not looking forward to that.

Gary messed up the settings on his computer this week so I had to go over Friday and straighten it out. He is getting worse. Still in the wheel chair full time now and has to use two hands to keep the mouse steady enough to click the buttons on the screen. And Loretta finally made an appointment to get something done with her knee. I don’t know what they are going to do if Loretta has to have a knee replacement. They will definitely have to go to some sort of assisted facility for awhile till Loretta gets back on her feet. Very sad situation.

They did manage to finally get the garden planted. With Kathy’s eye surgery and my back, it’s been a challenge. But we did it yesterday with the help of our daughter.

Tuesday evening we had a HAM club meeting. Made final plans for field day this next weekend. We will be taking all kind of radio equipment out to a park on Saturday at 10AM and start setting up. Then at 2 PM we start contacting other stations and that will continue through the night till 2PM on Sunday. Then we take things down and go home. I am setting up the digital station. Let you know in a couple weeks how that goes. May not have a blog entry till late Sunday next week.

I was also asked to be the weekly net control on the 4th Wednesday of the month. So that will be a new experience.

Finally got my keyer project completed this week.

Here’s what it looks like along with the Iambic keyer to the right. Instead of a standard telegraph type key which is referred to as a “Straight Key”, this system uses the paddles. You push the paddle on the left and you get a long sound. Push the paddle on the right and you get a short sound. The keyer does that all automatically. The colored push buttons are pre-programmed to send specific things that are repetitive. It all boils down to making the process of sending Morse Code much easier than with a straight key.

OK, that is more than enough for this week. As always, hope this finds everyone safe and healthy. Haven’t heard from some people so I think I need to make some phone calls this coming week. Blog at you again next week.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s