Week Ending 4/1/23

Hold on, this might be a long one…………………………………………………….

As always, first the chronology:

3/26/23 – Sunday – Up at the usual time.  Out to church with Kathy.  Home, lunch and the blog.  Over to Gary’s for the afternoon get together.  Back to the house to pick up Kathy and out to Applebee’s for dinner.  Usual evening routine.

3/27/23 – Monday – Up very early this morning, cleaned up and out to PT at 8AM.  Did not sleep well last night.  Maybe got a couple hours sleep.  So when I got home from PT I had a snack and went back to bed.  Up at noon and had lunch.  Spent the afternoon and evening finishing up the paper work for taxes.  

3/28/23 – Tuesday – Up at the usual time.  Cleaned up and out to PT at 10:30.  Home and picked up Kathy.  Up to Middletown and lunch at Panda Express.  Dropped the paperwork off at the accountant’s office and had a chat with my friend there.  Then up to Office Max to pick up some new pens.  Down and stopped at the bank to get money for ham fest this weekend.  Then home.  Kathy was tired and took a nap.  I tried to get the wifi extender I bought to work with no luck.  Kathy got up and we had dinner.  Usual evening routine.

3/29/23 – Wednesday – Up early today.  United Healthcare had a home visit scheduled for me.  The girl came and left.  I did chores around the house.  Had lunch then a nap.  Did more things around the house.  Then out for Lent service and soup.  Usual evening routine.

3/30/23 – Thursday – Up at the usual time.  Chores around the house and cleaned up.  Out to Physical Therapy at 10:30.  Home and had lunch.  Then took things off battery tenders.  Took the plow blade off the tractor and put the mower deck on it.  Test things out and all OK.  Both the D170 and the Zero Turn are ready for action. I came inside and did some domestic chores while Kathy picked up sticks on the yard.  Dinner and usual evening routine.

3/31/23 – Friday – Up at the usual time.  Cleaned up and out to clean the church.  Down to Hometown for salads for lunch.  Home and a nap.  Up and some computer work.  Dinner and usual evening routine.

4/1/23 – Saturday – Up early this morning and down to Elizabethtown for a HAM fest this morning.  Only stayed about 45 minutes.  Home and a nap.  Up and lunch.  Julie called to say there was a tree came down in their yard from the high winds.  So we packed up the chain saw and headed over.  I cut most of it up while Mike, Julie, Kathy and the grand kids hauled stuff away.  In the process Kathy got something in her eye.  So after we left the Rice house we went to the Hospital ER to have Kathy’s eye looked at.  Finally got seen, stopped at Arby’s on the way home for dinner and got home around 10PM.

Now the specifics:

Got the taxes done on Monday. Got them delivered to the accountant Tuesday. Another monkey off my back for this year.

While out and about on Tuesday we stopped at a new place (to us) called Panda Express. Wasn’t bad. not a big variety but when you mixed things you had a lot of options. Food was good but a little pricey. But it’s not bad in a pinch if your hungry for Chinese food. We found it funny that there didn’t appear to be one oriental person working there.

Having a little problem getting the TV in the bedroom to work reliably. It’s just on the fringe of the wifi access points I have in the house. So I bought a extender off Ebay that I worked on Tuesday and awhile Wednesday. Could not get it to work. Of course it was from China and had no information on how to get help. So I shit canned that and accepted the $40 lesson. Don’t buy crap like that from Ebay.

Many weeks ago I got a notice from our health insurance provider that they would give me a $50 gift card if I signed up for their home visit health review. They said it would only take an hour so I thought that’s pretty good and signed up for it. Well Wednesday morning this sweet young lady came to the front door to do my health review. She started with all the same questions you get at the doctor’s office every time you go like can you bath yourself, do you feel safe at home, do you have money problems, etc, etc. Then she got on me about apnea and CPAP devices. I told her I didn’t sleep with pajamas because I didn’t like things constraining me at night. I certainly wasn’t going to wear a CPAP. Then she said I should do it because sleep apnea contributes to A-fib. I told her no, the biggest risk factor of sleep apnea is stroke. She informed me that her master’s paper was on sleep apnea. I told her she didn’t go to a very good school then if she didn’t get things correct. Then I noticed on her ID that she was a nurse practitioner. I told her I thought that explained a lot. We went round and round on a couple other things and then the climax. It was time to take my pulse and she put her fingers on the medial side of my wrist. I pointed to the lateral side and told her it was there. She got more excited and told me she had never done that before. I said “Right, I believe that”. Well when things were done she was running out the front door. So, I had fun for an hour and earned a $50 gift card. Unfortunately I’m afraid I somewhat humiliated the poor girl. But I guess it was a good lesson that she can not always be in control of the situation.

Thursday afternoon I spent a couple hours in the shop getting things ready for the mowing weather. I took the D170 over, removed the plow and installed the mower deck. So that’s all ready. I got Kathy’s Zero Turn off the battery tender, checked the oil and tire pressure so that’s ready. Had to fire up the leaf blower to get some debris out of the shop. Then fired up the chain saw to get some big limbs cut up in the yard. So everything is ready to mow. Now we just have to get a good day to do it.

Friday we cleaned the church. Nothing remarkable there. Although it is taking less and less time as more people or doing it and doing it well. Kathy and I have a good routine. I vacuum the sanctuary while Kathy cleans the rest rooms and sweeps. We are both done about the same time so I get the mop ready and do the mopping of the entrance and fellowship hall while Kathy uses the pledge on the hard wood stuff in the sanctuary. We are down to about an hour and a half.

PT has been coming along great. I started the muscle building exercises and can see improvement already. I told the DPT that this was the most aggressive PT I had experienced in a long time. She said “you haven’t seen anything yet”. I can hardly wait.

Elizabethtown HAM club had their first HAM fest since COVID this past Saturday. I think a lot of us went just to support the club. There wasn’t much there. Two vendors and a couple people selling used stuff. Mostly junk. Two people outside tail gating. I got money out of the bank to take just in case I found something I couldn’t live without the rest of my life. I didn’t dip into it. I did buy a meter for $5, an antique CW straight key from a guy for $10 and some power pole connectors for $15. Not much spent but I got some play things and I supported the club down there.

We had a large amount of rain this week from Thursday afternoon through Friday morning. Then the winds picked up and that lasted till late Saturday afternoon. We had no damage around here, just limbs down in the yard. But up by Julie there were trees down all over the place. At one point it blew the roof off a commercial building where you could see the rafters in a 12′ for 8′ area. So Saturday afternoon we were up at our daughter’s place using the chain saw to cut up a tree that had fallen in their yard.

Unfortunately Kathy got something in her eye as the wind was still rather strong. She, Julie and Mike all tried to get it out but we were afraid she might have a corneal abrasion. She has had them in the past and they are extremely uncomfortable. So, when we left Mike and Julie’s we went straight to the ER up there to have them check it out. They weren’t very busy but it still took us almost 6 hours to get seen and treated. Fortunately there was no abrasion. They flushed out the eye and all is good.

Well that’s the story for this week and I’m sticking to it. As always, hope this finds everyone safe and healthy. Stay that way. Blog at you again next week.

One thought on “Week Ending 4/1/23

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s