Week Ending 9/5/2020

Another very busy week……………………………….

As always, first the chronology:

8/30/20 – Sunday – Up at the usual time and usual morning routine. Started the blog and had to figure out how to do things in the new editor they are forcing me to use. Kathy went to church with Julie and the kids. She came home and we had lunch. Got cleaned up and finished the blog. Over to Gary’s for the afternoon get together. Back to the house and went up to Brownboro Road for dinner at the Longhorn Steak House. Down and some grocery shopping at Kroger. Home and put things away. To my room for some computer updates. Brought a doll house down to my room that needs some fixing and worked on that awhile. Bed, TV and sleep.

8/31/20 – Monday – Up at the usual time and usual morning routine. Continued work on the doll house for Shelby. Worked till close to lunch and need knobs so got cleaned up and out with Kathy to Hobby Lobby. Got what we needed and stopped at Home Run Burgers for lunch. Then to Walmart for shopping. Home and continued work. Had dinner and chatted with the guys on 2 meters. Kathy ran to the hardware store for more wood screws I needed. Finished up the doll house project, played radio, practiced morse code. To bed, TV and sleep.

9/1/20 – Tuesday – Up at the usual time and usual morning routine. Weather was overcast and misty so made the decision not to do lawn work today. Made phone calls and did chores around the house this morning. Had lunch. Worked on the son-in-law’s project this afternoon. Had dinner, chatted with the guys on 2 meters. Computer updates. To bed, Big Bang and sleep.

9/2/20 – Wednesday – Up early today, usual morning routine and out to see the Doctor for my annual wellness checkup. Everything is good. Stopped at my son-in-law’s place to get some more specifics about the track he wants up in his exercise room. Stopped for some shopping on the way home then unloaded and back out to Hooter’s on Preston Highway for lunch. Back home and chores around the house and a nap. Kathy came home from watching the grandchildren and we had dinner. Chatted with the guys on 2 meters, bed, Big Bang and sleep.

9/3/20 – Thursday – Up at the usual time and out for a haircut. Back home and finished up the work on the drafting project for my son-in-law. Had some soup for lunch that Julie made. Wasn’t bad. Cleaned up the drafting things and did some drawing work for Gary’s audio project. Major cable failure in the county. A transformer caught fire and demolished one of the major nodes. So no telephone and no internet and subsequently no TV. Kathy came home and we had dinner. Chatted with the guys on 2 meters. Chores around the house, bed, watched a DVD and sleep.

9/4/20 – Friday – Up at the usual time and out to do the lawn work. A very difficult time. Grass was thick and wet. Stalled the mower on several occasions. Was out over 6 hours working. Came in and cooled down. Got cleaned up. Kathy went to pickup Chinese. Chatted with the guys on 2 meters. Did computer updates. Bed and another DVD then sleep.

9/5/20 – Saturday – Up at the usual time and usual morning routine. Kathy was out to the famer’s market and Country Mart. I started on Gary’s drawing. Kathy came home and we went out and worked on the pool. inside for lunch. Back to Gary’s drawing. Got cleaned up and out to Mike and Julie’s for dinner. Home, chores, bed, Big Bang and sleep.

Now the specifics:

Here is the play house I worked on the beginning of the week. One of the handles was missing so we went to Hobby Lobby and got some wood handles, painted them white and put them on the side doors so the knobs in front would all look the same. The bracket that holds the front door from going all the way down was all bent and the fixture inside the frame was pulled out so I had to straighten that and put the fixture back on the inside for it to work. The lights didn’t work and I traced that down to a dirty switch on the front that turned off the lights when you closed the front door. So all is good and Shelby is very happy.

Went for my annual wellness exam this week. The medical assistant that takes your blood pressure and makes sure all your information is correct came in and when she checked my pulse oximetry she noticed it was low. I could not believe it. I said yea, I can fix that. I lifted my mask for a minute and it went from 94 to 98. And they say the masks don’t cause any problems. Anyway, all my test results were good so it looks like I’ll live another year.

Been working on a project for my son-in-law. He wants to put up a rail in his fitness room to hang his punching bag from so he can slide it out when he wants to use it and then slide it back and out of the way when it’s not in use. The problem is the supports he has in the house for the floor above the fitness room. They are beams made with what appears like particle board and they are only about 3/8 inches thick. Everything I read says they will twist easy if lateral force is applied. Mike wanted to bolt metal brackets to them and then hang the rail from that. I told him I wouldn’t do that and offered an alternative of putting 2 by 12 sections between the joists and securing it from both sides. Then secure the rail to that. I’m not sure he is happy with my recommendation but he is going to look at it.

I’ve been stopping in Hooters for lunch about once a week lately. Kathy is out of the house 2 days a week and it saves me from fixing my own lunch one of those days. This week I was sitting down enjoying my smothered chicken breast sandwich when I looked around and notice how many other old, single males were in there eating. Then it occurred to me that it was the only place for desperate and lonely men to go to have lunch and enjoy the eye candy. Sad, very sad. lol

Thursday this week we had a catastrophic cable failure. It was said that a transformer explosion and fire around noon was the cause. However, I didn’t lose service till sometime after 4PM. So my theory is that the transformer incident around noon killed power to the node that probably had a 4 hour battery backup. When the batteries died the node went down. It was down from around 4:15PM on Thursday till around 4:30AM Friday. An unusually long outage for Spectrum but understandable. All is good now.

It has been rather rainy weather here lately so we didn’t get a break to do the lawn till Friday. It was a mess. Very thick and very wet. Kathy has been taking some new medicine and it’s making her feel crappy so she wasn’t as much help as usual. But we got through it and it looks like shit. But I’ll do it again this week one day after it dries out and it will be OK.

Last but not least, this was Derby week. The Oaks day was Friday and Saturday was the Kentucky Derby. No spectators were allowed in Church Hill Downs. The estimate is that several million dollars was lost as a result of the decision to do it this way. Again the politics has caused lost revenues. Very sad. Anyway, we went over to have burgers and dogs on the grill at Mike and Julie’s and watched the race on the TV.

Well that was our buys week. Hope this finds everyone safe and well. Be careful out there and don’t let the bastards get to you. Blog at you again next week.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s